Most vehicle accidents usually come from lack of concentration, carelessness, and indecision. All these are unfortunate circumstances that come with alcohol drinking. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDCP) carried out an analysis on road crashes and found that an average of one death per 50 minutes occurs due to alcohol-related car collisions.
Statistics have shown that people who drink are at risk of causing fatal accidents. Different countries and states have rules concerning drinking while driving, and most states do not allow it. Asides from causing accidents, there are other consequences of drinking while driving.
Some significant consequences that can occur while driving under the influence of alcohol are:
- Impaired driving: Alcohol impairs a person’s ability to drive by slowing thinking, reflexes, and vision. Alcohol consumption slows reaction time, especially when the situation requires the vehicle to be stopped abruptly. When drivers are drunk, it becomes very hard for them to control the wheels and make the right decisions while driving.
It often leads to the loss of lives and properties of innocent people. Consequently, if the person survives the crash, the state could take legal actions against the person.
- Legal consequences:Record has it that over 10,000 people die yearly due to alcohol-induced accidents. However, asides from the possibility of an accident, there are legal consequences of driving while drunk. If a person is caught with a blood-alcohol concentration level that is higher than 0.08% while driving, the following are legal consequences that could follow:
- Loss of driver’s license
- Vehicle impoundment
- Court-ordered rehabilitation and alcohol treatment
- Court-ordered withdrawal from children and loved ones
- Jail time
If the person’s conviction is an accidental crash that claimed lives and properties of people due to the influence of alcohol, the consequences will be a lot more grievous. The outgrowths might include loss of the following:
- Voting right
- Right to own a firearm
- Parental right
- Professional license
- Financial aid for schooling
- Employment in elite fields
- Public housing benefits
Maintaining good hygiene is essential for everybody. Drivers are known for meeting new people, having hectic work schedules, and stressful long drives. This makes it hard for some of them to stay healthy and maintain proper hygiene.
Transportation is an essential sector for every economy, and a big catch in this sector is road transport, where road drivers function. Therefore, the relevance of drivers in an economy should not be undermined. Most drivers get to do some things that demine their physical and mental health to cope with the complexities of their work.
Drivers have bad dieting, lack adequate rest time, engage in self-medication, and avoid exercise. Some even take addictive substances like cocaine, heroin, alcohol, and stimulants to stay woke and active on their job. All these are just a few of the unhealthy ways of drivers.
To stay healthy as a driver, you must pay attention to the following essential health tips;
- Healthy diet: By healthy diet, we mean healthy meals, drinks, and snacks. Excessive eating is prevalent among drivers but does not count for healthy eating. Eating healthily during a stress-filled day takes a lot of planning and conscious effort.
Drivers should get their diet planned by a dietician and ensure they try preparing some of their meals at home before going out to work or after work at night. Avoid roadside meals and reduce excessive snacks intake. Drivers should also take enough carbs and protein to harness energy to pull through the day and aid tissue repair.
- Avoid self-medication:Drivers are used to self-medicating and taking drugs abusively. These only give rise to various risk factors like impaired judgment, mental illness, physical health issues, and road accidents. Drivers should find time to visit health practitioners to discuss their health issues.
- Get adequate rest: Not getting enough rest could lead to sleeping while driving, which could ultimately lead to an accident. Drivers often found a way around getting rest by using stimulants to stay woke. However, that has not proven to be as effective as having a good night’s sleep.
- Engage in regular exercise: Regular exercise reduces the risks of cardiac disorders, increases irritability, and improves endurance time. Drivers who get enough exercise get to be more mentally and physically alert in their jobs.